zondag 16 februari 2014

Sleeping Giant


Gather around y'all and sit down. It's Dropping Gems time.

What I'm showing you today is a new illustration. I have to confess that there's not much progress made since the last one I did regarding skill, I'm just not drawing enough. I did recieve a lesson from a personal teacher on how to give more depth to the objects being drawn and while I started with good intentions, in the end, the result looks practicly the same as the older illustrations, a pretty flat image.
My teacher must be cringing right now while foam comes out of her mouth, but I have no regrets, new work is new work.





The villagers travel from far to come and pray to this colossal animal, and ocasionally sacrafising food to earn good fortune in their lives. For them, it is a God, but in reality, it's just an overgrown animal who couldn't care less and is sleeping during the process of being worshipped.
I'd like to think that the image takes place in the same universe as the one from Small Visitor, namely, in the Valley of Giants where towering mystical beasts roam the land. Maybe one day, I can can combine them in a child's story.

Also, I've been part of an expo in our cultural centre. They asked people to send in pictures based around rituals, so I took one of my little nephew who looks under the bed before he goes to sleep. Truth be told, the scene was set up because trying to make a thought out picture with a five year old without some sort of guidance is near impossible. I made a deal involving candy with him so it turned out as a win-win situation.

                                            (Credit to Art Lover for the pic below)


The picture in question:




Something came to my attention, a few months in and I still haven't uploaded something from my own country. Time to change that and Ozark Henry is a great way to do it. I must tell that, to me, his latest work isn't at the same level as it was years ago, but the old Henry is top notch. I went to a concert of him where he played his music acoustic on a piano and it was truly fantastic. I still don't understand why they haven't put his acoustic versions on CD yet, but I guess the marketing people know best....Anyway, here's These Days, I just love that finale.

And now just shut up and enjoy.

                                                     Ozark Henry - These Days



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten